In 1979, our story began in the Chicagoland market. From our humble beginnings as a forwarder, AIT has remained committed to co-worker development, delivering a world-class customer experience and the deployment of enhanced technology solutions to better serve customers around the world.
Over the course of more than three decades of steady growth, AIT remains an organization of high performance with closely aligned core values and a rich historical culture. Today, AIT stands as an award-winning leader in the global logistics industry, with regional headquarters in Chicago, Amsterdam and Hong Kong.
History of AIT
We invite you to explore the company timeline and join us as we continue our story by strengthening the Core Values of AIT: Customers, Co-workers, Communities, Ethics and High Performance.
- “Air It There” co-founded by Dan Lisowski and Steve Leturno opens for business on September 4.
- Perishables division specializing in ambient and passive products is launched.
- To reflect the company’s rapidly expanding global presence, AIT Freight Systems becomes AIT Worldwide Logistics.
- AIT obtains FMC license to operate as an Ocean Transportation Intermediary.
- AIT co-workers begin their commitment to the American Cancer Society and the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. To date, Team AIT has donated in excess of $600,000.
- Global system support consolidated and hosted in a unified data center.
- Comprehensive global risk management and support enhanced with Customs Brokerage services.
- AIT joins the SmartWay® Transport Partnership to improve the environmental performance of freight delivery in the United States.
- AIT’s first overseas office opens in Hong Kong, China.
- Residential Delivery solutions are added to AIT’s Specialty Service offerings.
- AIT celebrates 30 years of global supply chain management.
- Second Asian office opens in Shanghai, China.
- MyAIT rolls out as a fully integrated web-based shipping solutions tool.
- AIT is recognized as a Top 100 Workplace by Chicago Tribune.
- AIT enhances personal connections via social media. Like us on Facebook!
- Executive leadership team assumes ownership of AIT in a friendly leveraged buyout on May 4.
- Specialty Services options broadened with the launch of Retail Logistics division.
- Global expansion accelerates with new offices in Amsterdam (Netherlands), Ningbo (China), Shenzhen (China) and Toronto (Canada).
- Logistics Management magazine awards AIT the Quest for Quality award for the ninth time.
- AIT's presence in southern China grows with the addition of the Guangzhou office.
- AIT expands into Mexico with new office in Hermosillo.
- AIT enters into a Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAF) partnership with Southwest Airlines Cargo®.
- AIT opens new location in Hanoi, Vietnam and expands the company’s Asian network.
- Monterrey joins as the company's second location in Mexico.
- The Global Institute of Logistics (GIL) accredits AIT Best in Class.
- AIT forms financial partnership with Quad-C to fulfill the organization's long-term strategic growth plan.
- AIT announces support for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital by joining the St. Jude Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer as a Silver National Team.
- Syracuse, New York, Guadalajara, Mexico and Reno, Nevada join the growing network of global locations.
- AIT opens a new full-service station in the city of Qingdao making it the organization’s seventh office in China.
- The acquisition of cold chain forwarder WorldFresh Express expands AIT's global network with an additional temperature-controlled facility.
- A long-term organizational goal is being fulfilled with the acquisition of UK-based freight forwarder ConneXion World Cargo.
- The acquisition of Unitrans International Corporation is the company’s largest to date, adding strategic service depth along with enhanced trade lane expertise in Asia and Europe.
- Ongoing global expansion continues with the opening of a new location in Mexico City.
- AIT marks 40 years in business.
- FreightWaves, the world’s largest publisher of freight news and data, announces AIT as a 2020 Freight.Tech 100 award winner.
- AIT acquires Panther Logistics, adds eight U.K. offices.
- AIT U.K. earns Authorized Economic Operator.
- MIA Gateway in operation.
- AIT appointed to AfA Board of Directors.
- Acquired, Fiege Forwarding, with new locations in Europe and Asia.
- Recognized as Top 50 Logistics Company by Transport Topics