Cut Costs with Less than Container Load (LCL) Shipping
AIT's LCL shipping experts help you save by consolidating your freight with other shippers
Less than container load shipments are when a single container is used to transport goods from multiple shippers.
AIT professionals, often in partnership with our in-house customs clearance brokerage, deliver reliable, cost-effective LCL shipping services to customers all over the world, across all types of industries.
Choose AIT's connected network for your LCL shipping
AIT's long-standing relationships with core and niche ocean carriers deliver predictably priced capacity every month of the year. And when you partner with us, you'll also enjoy access to:
- Reduced rates via the world's largest consolidation network
- End-to-end sea shipping visibility
- 24/7 customer support
- Oversized, overweight, project and breakbulk cargo expertise
- And much more!
Go inside AIT's LCL shipping process
AIT's LCL shipping professionals deliver highly competitive rates and the flexibility to offer customized options that meet your requirements, with solutions including:
- Certificates of origin
- Direct filing via the Automated Export System
- Exclusive charters
- Containerization with reefer service
- Ocean import and export services
- Transatlantic and transpacific expertise
- Foreign banking support
What is included with AIT's Less than Container Load Express service?
The service accelerates transit time for shipments from the Pacific Rim to North America via weekly, fixed sailing schedules, with distribution across the United States. Benefits include:
- 75% less expensive than traditional air freight
- 30% faster than typical inland intermodal service from LAX
- Simplified pricing (per kilogram)
- All-inclusive Asia-to-destination-door service
- All origins common rated
What other services can AIT add on to my LCL shipment?
Our global logistics experts are ready to develop a sea shipping program with you that includes a full complement of services across nearly every mode, including ground, rail, and air, as well as:
- Permit management
- Landed costing
- Packaging solutions
- Purchase order management
- And more!
What's the difference between FCL and LCL? What are LCL's benefits?
Ocean freight shipping presents a reliable means of large-volume transportation, with options designed to accommodate varying cargo sizes, including shipments that are less than a container load or a full container load (FCL). In FCL shipments, one party owns all the goods in a container.
Shippers typically opt for LCL in situations where cargo volume is too low to fill a container by itself.
AIT's experts will help you make an informed decision based on your organization's specific needs and inventory requirements, including factors like cost and commodity type. For instance, while smaller, more adaptable freight is less likely to need an entire container to itself, FCL is a better fit for bulk items and large-volume products.
Less than container load shipping benefits
- Lower cost: The most cost-effective option for smaller shipments, providing a less expensive alternative to air freight and FCL.
- Improved flexibility: Reduce shippers' inventory investment, making it easier to adjust shipment schedules to accommodate business needs.
- Increased control: Pick up and drop off cargo directly from the warehouse, cutting out other entities and streamlining the process.
What can I fit in an ocean freight container?
Standard ocean freight containers are either 20 or 40 feet in length, 8 feet wide and 8.5 feet in height. Larger versions, known as "high-cube containers" are also common, and are 40 feet in length and 9.5 feet tall.
Download our ocean freight shipping guide as a quick reference for conversions, dimensions, and helpful links.
Is AIT a Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC)?
Yes. As a licensed Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC), AIT's ocean freight team has the knowledge and expertise to provide the best solution based on your business needs.
Enhance your less than container load shipping strategy
When you partner with AIT, you gain access to an experienced LCL shipping team with the knowledge and industry relationships to meticulously manage every aspect of your shipment—from booking to delivery. So you're free to focus on what matters: growing your bottom line.