Popular collectibles retailer bypasses COVID-19 postal delays with AIT's safe, cost-effective international e-Commerce solution
Published on: Nov 12, 2020
SummaryWhen the COVID-19 pandemic led to the indefinite suspension of a toy and collectible retailer’s usual shipment channel from Japan to North America in early 2020, AIT created a direct-to-consumer parcel solution that not only cleared the online seller’s shipment backlog, but also introduced secure package tracking.
“You guys rock… you’re the last people I called and the first people who proposed [a solution].” – Collectibles retailer
CHALLENGE: Postal suspension exposes client to high costs, delivery time variationAfter safety concerns pushed Japan Post into suspending international delivery service to more than 150 countries in the first quarter of 2020, a collectibles seller with a loyal, worldwide following was left with a 15,000-order backlog of international e-Commerce shipments.
While air shipment options from Japan to the United States were too costly to serve as a sustainable solution for the client, ocean shipping presented too much variation in delivery times.
Additionally, unable to provide reliable tracking for their customers, the retailer was concerned about possible consumer fraud.
SOLUTION: Tracking-enhanced, cost-effective end-to-end ocean shippingAIT’s e-Commerce logistics experts rapidly developed a door-to-door parcel service for the client that included:
- In-country personnel to support communications, pick up and container loading
- Consistent 12-day ocean transport from Japan to Los Angeles
- U.S. product inspection, package-level scanning and address confirmation
- Tender management to parcel carriers for final North American delivery
- Step-by-step package level visibility
The AIT Difference Makers
- Section 321 customs clearance management for duty-free entry and enhanced shipment visibility
- In-country team supported by global network of high-quality, vetted facilities
- Non-asset-based forwarder flexibility means AIT isn’t bound by limitations to a single air or surface fleet
- Complete freight tracking visibility via MyAIT